March 27, 2011

The Day After

Although I didn't get the opportunity to write on the blog during the trip, I was able to seriously reflect on our journey yesterday while on the bus ride to Santo Domingo and the airplane to Boston. Of course, it was sad to be going back home, but I realized that the experiences that I had on this trip will always be with me wherever I may venture to in my life. My experiences last year with Dr. Bliss, Bladimier, Jen, Amy, and our entire team made me understand a true human bond that rests beyond money and status. The stories of the batey workers and the heart-breaking problems that they encounter, such as little access to health care, helped me to see helping people as an art form as opposed to "work." This year, my experiences with the patients and the children of the batey's has truly inspired me to study medicine and continue community and international service work for the rest of my life.
In particular, the conversation I had with Jen and Ms. Baez on Friday night about the significance of service in our changing world made me realize that a cure for global poverty may never turn up, but we can always help. Ms. Baez said it best when she read, "vine ayudar." (I came to help)... As a team this year, "vinimos ayudar" (we all came to help.)
Each member's motivation to help those in need on this trip helped to motivate me as well. Our trip would not have been as successful as it was if we had lost even one member of this group. We were truly a family for this week, and I hope that we can stay a family even though we will be starting school tomorrow.
Moises, Christy, Jake, Jesse, Molly, and the translators are all extraordinary individuals who shared their tireless determination to help those in need with our group this year. I look forward to hopefully coming back in the summer to work with members of the Good Samaritan Hospital.

I will always cherish the best week of my youth.

Best,
Neil Desai

1 comment:

  1. Neil

    Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

    Yolanda Wilcox Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete