March 28, 2011

Reflections- Jess Jordan

HOLA!
After reading Neil and Prema's posts, I think it would be really cool to keep the blog going for a bit even though the trip is over! Today, so many people asked me how the DR was. The only word I could use to describe the trip was "amazing" or "fantastic." Whenever I tried to go into details, I felt that I couldn't find the words to make other people understand how life changing the trip was. Finally, I would end up saying something like "You really have to go there yourself" or "I don't even know how to explain it!" I think this trip was so life changing for me because I learned so much about the Dominican culture, and I also learned a lot about myself. Over the week, I found that I surprised myself by stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things; whether it was trying different foods, or using the outhouse bathrooms in the bateys. I noticed that everyone else on the trip did this as well, and I think this is what made us able to bond so easily. We were all stepping out of our comfort zones, and we were all there to catch each other and support each other if we needed help! We are so lucky that Moses Brown provides us with opportunities such as the DR trip where we can expand our horizons and try new things, because these are the experiences that truly help us to grow as people.

When we landed in Boston, Senora Baez said, "I leave bits and pieces of my heart in the Dominican every time I travel there." I can relate to this statement, I feel as though I left a piece of me at every batey we went to, and at the orphanage we visited. I look forward to returning to the DR soon to collect these pieces and to experience last week all over again.

Thank you all for the amazing week! Adios amigos.

-Jess Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment